Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Opuntia? ... Yes that is a Prickly Pear

Prior to this trip to Arizona I did know that Paddle Cactus is sold at grocery stores and can be eaten, and I have eaten it in the past. Although one thing I didn't know is that the fruit that sprouts is sweet and the actual paddle (Nopales) is the savory part. From this "pear" you can make many different sweet treats. One that we found was ice cream! The taste was amazing! If would highly suggest if you ever come across prickly pear ice cream, jam, jelly, syrup, anything... try it.

If you find yourself in Sedona and you want some good homemade on site ice cream, I would suggest the Black Cow Cafe. Probably the freshest and best ice cream I have had in a while.

Isabella started talking to one of the creators of this ice cream. (If I had to guess I would say the owner) He gave her some directly from the spout of the machine. As he put it, "You would have to be in the machine to get any fresher." On a sad note, Isabella did not share.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment